Dance Macabre is a dance larp played multiple times in Czech Republic - first time in 2012, in 2019 there will be another run in UK.
Dance Macabre is a dance larp inspired by the chapter Danse Macabre in Neil Gaiman`s Graveyard Book and a Danish Game In Fair Verona. The game is set in current Europe, but the exact time and place does not play an imporant role in the game. The game takes cca three hours and players play their characters only through dancing Tango Argentino. It is a story about love, death and serching for new future. The game is preceded by two days of workshops to learn playing through dancing and to create characters and their story.
The production had 40 players in one game of 3 hours.
Before the game, there are two days of workshops of tango dancing and creation of characters and their stories.
There were 7 runs in Czech Republic - 6 of them in Czech language and 1 in English. The game was currently played by cca 250 players.
There is an English run in UK planned for March 2019.
Participation fee in Czech Republic was ca 80 EUR per run, food and hostel style of accommodation included.
The game has minimalist and symbolic scenography.
- Pre-larp Workshop - workshops of dancing, character creation and non-verbal playing.
- Played through dancing - the only way of communication in the game was through non-verbal playing and dancing Tango Argentino.
- Act Structure - Three Acts divided by two pauses.
- Flying Start - at the sound of bells.
- Sudden end- at the sound of bells.
- NPC - one, The Death.
- Soundtrack - for the whole game, considering it is played through dancing.
- Tap Out - non-verbal and Safewords.
- Debriefing - in small groups.
- Third Person Principle - especially during debriefing, starting by naming the character (they did not need to do it before the game).
Game design description
- Openness - game is completely transparent.
- Scenography - minimalistic and symbolics.
- Character Creation Responsibility - players create their own characters through workshops.
- Runtime Game Mastering - only through music and one NPC.
- Story Engine - collaborative focused on emotional drama.
- Loyalty to Setting - playable, setting is not very detailed.
- Bleed-in - depends on the players design of characters, often close to home.
- Communication Style - completely physical, playing through dancing.
- Representation of Theme - abstract, the story is about magical moment.
- Meta-techniques - none.
- Player Pressure - pretense but physically demanding, considering that players will be dancing for 3 hours straight.
Dance Macabre: Last Tones (dance video)
Document About the Game with Players (English subtitles available)
Dance Macabre Blueprint (in English)
- Mikuláš Bryan
- Kateřina Morgain Holendová
- Monika Kadaňková
- Pavel Sunder Mejstřík
- Pavlína Rennfri Mejstříková
- Jana Lorelei Pouchlá
- Petr Lex Růžička
- Petr Peldrik Urban