|This is a documentation subpage for Template:PD-US.|
It contains usage information, categories and other content that is not part of the original template page.
Some cases where this template may apply are listed below. You may consider using a more specific tag.
- Works published in the U.S. before 1926.
- Works first published in 2003 or later and created by authors who died before 1951.
- Works published in the U.S. between 1926 and 1977 without a copyright notice. See Template:PD-Pre1978.
- Works published in the U.S. between 1978 and March 1, 1989, without a copyright notice, and where the copyright was not later registered. See Template:PD-US-1989
- Works published in the U.S. between 1926 and 1963 with a copyright notice but without later copyright renewal. See Template:PD-US-not renewed.
- Works published outside the U.S. before 1926, except possibly in the 9th Circuit, then before July 1, 1909. See Template:PD-US-1923-abroad.
- Works published outside the U.S. between 1926 and 1977 which were in the public domain in their home countries on January 1, 1996. See Template:PD-US-1996.
For more details and other cases, please see Wikipedia:Public domain.
For a complete list of all cases where an image is in the public domain in the United States, see 
This template adds images to the category Category:Images in the public domain in the United States.